Sunday 10 October 2010

Introduction to Me!

Hey, I’m Max Mead, imp fresh out of sixth form and lucky enough to get myself a place at De Montfort with Game Art. Frankly I have never been more nervous or confused about some of the things we looked at during the first week. 3D confuses the hell out of me and that is the thing that’s going to make these first few weeks hard for me. I’ve talked to a few of you about the process and how you got so brilliant at it. Seriously I’m wondering if ill ever be able to build a darlek. But None the less I’m going to try my hardest to get set in. I don’t really think ill have a problem adapting my 2D skills in the long run and I find that drawing the canal for god knows how many hours, therapeutic and skill improving. Overall I couldn’t be more impressed with the course I signed up for, it sounded good on the open days and interviews, but nothing could have prepared me for when I heard all of the great things that I get to do.

But am I really cut out for this?

You can ask my parents, I’ve wanted to do something artistic and constructive with my life since I was eight. First of all I wanted to be an Architect, Work experience killed that dream. Then I thought why not do something that everyone thinks about at some point. Help create games! I’d been creating little maps and doodles of ideas for ages but not in till sixth form had I realised that I could do something like this, which I could actually be good at. Looking through courses on UCAS, I had my mind set out Game Art. There were only 2 universities that I looked at, here and Stafford, and as soon as I came to De Montfort and saw the course I knew. Am I cut out for this? If I can develop my 3D skills enough and if I prove that this is seriously a direction I want to take my life, Why not?

My interview, well I was put up with another guy who had a whole portfolio of 3D work and animation, and there I was trundling along with my canvases and paintings…Ahhh. But Heather seemed impressed, I thought she was just being nice but then a week later id been offered a place! That gave me some confidence and I spent the next few months working towards My A* in Art. Sweet! Everyone seems really nice here, I don’t know if it’s the fact were all in the same boat or that we all have the same goals but I feel really comfortable here and I really don’t want to be one of these people to quit out. When we get so much input from the industry why would I want to go anywhere? Wednesdays Seem Awesome, We get to watch films and talk about what we like and write blogs at unholy hours. Pulling all nighters seems to be my speciality, but I just wish 3Ds Max would hurry up and download, I need to get some practice before tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, all nighters....

    anyway, liking the enthusiasm - don;t forget to find that dream job and set some concrete goals based on what's really out there

    ReplyDelete