Wednesday 27 October 2010

Blitz Lecture Thoughts

Just got home from the lecture and I’m going to write this whilst it’s still in my memory. Was a fantastic insight into the games industry and the words that most stuck with me were “Don’t forget to keep drawing” and they hit me pretty hard. Looking back on it I can see over the last two weeks I’ve been so focused on producing stuff in 3ds Max that I’ve overlooked the fact that I haven’t been practicing my drawing techniques. Bar the few thumbnails I produced on Leicester city centre. Too me it seems so important that I continue to keep these my top priority, seeing as the fact that it is Game Art I am studying and without sufficient knowledge of 2D art basics and fundamentals, and the continuous practice of these that I would either not succeed in finding a job. As my art would looking like crayon placemats that you find in Pizza Hut. Or more immediately I wouldn’t make it too my second year for the same reasons.

The people from Blitz seemed really interesting and they really broke down for us what they wanted from the industry and our course in particular. I know it would be a lot more beneficial closer to the end of my degree rather than the beginning, as I would be able to really focus on my portfolio. But I still found it helpful enough. “Think of what you want to do, what jobs are going and what you need to get there.” Another key part of the lecture that I brought home and comes to the mind as I scramble for things to write about. Obvious really, but overlooked by what seemed to be the majority of the 1st years including myself. Texturing or Object and asset creation? Before I got onto this course I really wanted to be a skybox artist. But I really think, realistically, based on all the things I want too do an Environment Artist would be more suited. I was surprised at how few a people work for the art team as environment artist, all be it a large portion of the art team. I really have to make sure I stand out and literally become the most competitive anti social art machine ever! Or I could just continue to enjoy what I love doing, doodling, drawing, painting, but make sure I’m happy with it. Because there is no better critic than yourself.

I hope each time we get industry people in, they give us such a big insight as they did today, because its great. Seeing what good and bad, whilst understanding the difference and why. Away from the lecture for a bit, its surprising how much can change when you remodel something in 3ds Max, it seems every time you do something, you get better. Practice actually does make perfect! Going home for the weekend again, and taking my work with me. But at least I’m still enjoying it, even if I feel under pressure to get as good as some people out there.

Thanks Blitz
I think this talk has really opened my eyes, and hopefully it will stand with me through the years. Even brought a new sketchbook to draw in my free time. Prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment